Skip to main content

Butterfly Dance, Traditional Dance From Bali






Butterfly dance is one of the traditional dances originating from Bali. According to the Balinese dance historical record, this butterfly dance was created by I Wayan Beratha in 1960. I Wayan Beratha is a Balinese Dance artist born in 1926, in Banjar Belaluan Denpasar. He currently resides in Banjar Abian Kapas Kaja. I Wayan Beratha is living and big in the family environment of Balinese artists. His grandfather, I Ketut Keneng (1841-1926) was also a great Balinese artist of his time.



His grandfather was a gamelan musician and also pagambuhan. Because of the greatness of his name and his work, most of his life was dedicated to the family of Puri Denpasar, as a favorite artist from King I Gusti Agung Ngurah Denpasar until the Puputan Badung War erupted in 1906. So deserve the great artist's blood then flowed in I Wayan Beratha and created a work - great for the people of the island of Bali and Indonesia.



Butterfly dance is a kind of female group dance that is played by 5 women or more. This dance describes a blue butterfly animal or a flying tarum and perched from one flower to another.



Philosophically, this butterfly dance is a depiction of beauty, peace, and also the exotic island of Bali. The graceful movement and dynamic and charming motion composition make the butterfly dance slightly different from the nuances created by other Balinese dances, making it more peaceful to feel at the time of watching it.



The blend of costume colors between dark and bright fabrics like golden, blue, and dark green and glittering crowns with golden knickknacks, illustrates beauty in contrasting differences. As in the beauty of nature, the variety of artwork, social conditions, culture and beliefs of Balinese society are united in the harmony of motion. The music accompaniment also uses Balinese gamelan, there is a harmony of tone with soft bar. Not stomping like a Kecak dance.



The meaning of the butterfly dance above is a reflection of Beratha's very open-minded way of thinking, he seeks to discard regional fanaticism despite not entirely abandoning the peculiarities of Balinese culture. In terms of karawitan art, from 1957 to 1959, he began to tap the blending of gambelan colors that penetrated deeply into regional patterns. These patterns are thought to be due to a competition in the days of kings that lasted until the colonial era. So he ventured to study the North Balinese karawitan and taught the karawitan of South Bali throughout Bali. Then along with I Cede Manik, I Wayan Beratha became the bridge between the style of art of karawitan Bali South and North which is certainly reflected from every dance he created.



What I Wayan Beratha does with Balinese culture is not an attempt to destroy tradition or destroy the traditional artistic merit, but just a novelty that traditional art in Bali can find its world in tandem with the development of the times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Tips - The Power of Twitter Notifications and More Tools to Streamline Your Twitter Experience

I don’t know about you, but I always have a lot of Twitter FOMO. Not sure if this is a really thing or it is just me? I’ve always stuck to the model that if someone connected to teaching and learning follows me, I will follow them back. This has let me to some great follows, but it has also added more to my Twitter stream than I can follow most days.  Today, I wanted to share a few resources I use to streamline my Twitter experience. There are many great resources that can help organize and streamline Twitter, but today  I will focus on 4: Twitter Notifications, Twitter Lists, IFTTT, and Tweetdeck.  Twitter Notifications I have to admit that up until a few months ago, I never really used or looked at using the Twitter notification icon for some of my favorite follows. It has become on of my favorites since then.  I have notifications set for less than a dozen twitter accounts. I don’t want to be overwhelmed by notifications, so keeping it to a core group really helps...

Emoji Bullet List - Add Emoji's to Any List

I am always looking for new ways to add some creative design to my tutorials, lessons, and student activities. Thanks to @TonyVincent  I have another fun way to use emojis.  Today I wanted to share the Emoji Bullet List Website . With a single list uses of the Emoji Bullet List can turn any list into a list with emoji bullet points.  ⚗ Plan for Earth Science 2022 🗂 Organize EdTech Resources 🏧 Submit Payment for Neuqua Subscriptions 📕 Read 15 minutes a day 💗 Grow as an educator ⚒ Build my PLN Additional Creative Ways to Use Emojis 📔  Creative Organization of Your Drive Folders, Keep Labels, Google Classroom Topics and More with Emojis 🎨  emojimix – Combine Popular Emojis to Design Your Own Unique Creations   📁 Recent Google Docs Updates – Awesome Features to Enhance Student Learning With Documents (Includes NotoEmoji for Google Docs) Thanks for taking a look. If you have any suggestions on using Emoji’s in the classroom, please share in the comments below. #Happ...

The spiciness of Sambal Balado Minangkabau

Balado is a typical cooking technique from Minangkabau that is by sauté chili milled with various spices, usually can onion, then garlic, and also lime. In contrast to other chili sauce which only uses chili milled as a companion of food by dyed, but Balado is served by re-cooked with various types of dishes such as jerky, , and also tempe goreng. The action of adding chili and spices is believed to make food more durable. The common and commonly used chili is red curly pink, although, in reality, this Balado dish with green chili is also no less popular. Actually, the use of the word Balado itself is used after the noun, ie, For example, Balado Fish can Fish + Chilli, Balado Gulai, then Saur Bayam Balado, and Dendeng Balado. But not Balado jerky or Balado Fish. The use of this word Balado before the noun is a misuse of the language and thus eliminates the real meaning in the original Minangkabau language (language). The way to make this Balado sauce does not take much time and is very...